Thousands of Afghans protest Taliban order to leave residential neighborhood


Thousands of Afghans demonstrated on Tuesday after being ordered to leave a residential military settlement.

About 3,000 Afghan families have had three days to leave the settlement, according to Reuters. Some people have lived in the area for almost 30 years.

Protesters gathered outside the governor’s house in the southern city of Kandahar to demonstrate, according to Reuters, which cited images from local media that showed crowds of people blocking a road in the city. A former governor’s official is also said to have observed the crowd.

Families of retired army generals and other members of the Afghan security forces mainly resided in the area and were asked to vacate the area, according to the news wire.

Protests have erupted across Afghanistan since the Taliban formally claimed power in the country following the withdrawal of US troops, which ended in late August.

The clashes have at times turned deadly, but there were no reports of violence during Tuesday’s protests, Reuters noted.

Last week, the Taliban said it was banning all protests and demonstrations that do not receive government approval, according to Axios.

The protests in Afghanistan come as the insurgent group struggles to form its government after the US exits after two decades of conflict.

The insurgent group announced its interim Afghan government last week, which includes a number of die-hard leaders from its previous reign in the late 1990s, but no women.

One of the members of the government – who has been appointed acting interior minister – is Sirajuddin Haqqani, who is on the FBI’s most wanted list.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.