Home Construction and Renovations – City of Burlington

If your home is a semi-detached or detached property and you are planning a construction project, we are here to help! This is the page to help you get started on your journey, with the information you need to ensure you have all the necessary permits and authorisations. Whether you do the work yourself or hire someone to do it for you, read on to learn more.

In some cases, you may also need to obtain approval from external agencies such as Burlington Hydro, Conservation Halton, Ministry of Transportation, Niagara Escarpment Commission, etc., as applicable.

Consolidated Pre-Construction Permit Review

Most home renovation and construction projects require a building permit, but before you can apply for a building permit, you must apply for a consolidated pre-construction permit.

The consolidated pre-construction permit process includes a zoning review, grading and drainage review, and forestry review.

If you are unsure if you require a Consolidated Pre-Construction Permit or approval from an outside agency for your project, please contact a Residential Development Technologist in the Planning Department at 905- 335-7642.

Building permit

Building permits are required for most home construction and renovation projects such as, but not limited to:

  • Home improvement projects:
    • Decks and porches – this includes closing off your existing deck, porch or patios;
    • Garages and sheds – we call these “accessory structures”;
    • Interior renovations such as: basement renovations, secondary suites, kitchen/bathroom modifications, removal of interior walls, etc.
  • Construction of new homes and additions and
  • Demolitions (including interior and exterior works)

If you are unsure if you need a building permit for your project, please contact a Building and By-law Department Permit Technologist at 905-335-7731.

Apply for a building permit

Find out how to apply for a building permit and learn about:

  • Projects that do and do not require building permits
  • New submissions to an existing building permit application
  • Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Adjustment Committee

If your proposed home construction or renovation project does not comply with the zoning bylaw and you wish to have these minor zoning variances approved, you will need to submit an application to the Committee of Adjustment for a Minor Variance.

Note – A minor variance must be approved before the City can issue an approval for a consolidated pre-construction permit.

Swimming pools and shelters

Pools, fences, and driveways and curbs are not included in this process. Visit these pages for more information.

Have you started the permit process yet?

Check the status of your application